Tuesday, January 7, 2014

January 6th, 2013

Hello everyone! Hopefully, soon I will be able to post a lot of his first four months, but for now this is a letter we received from Elder Johnson yesterday, with some pictures attached! -Julia (sister)


oi! 

This past week was really cool!  I got my trainee!  Or according to the mission lingo, my son was born! haha!  I attached a picture of us.  He is really great, all of my prayers were answered in respect to who my new companion would be.  He's American, which is really awesome. I have spent the last 3 months surrounded entirely by Brazilians so it's kinda nice to be able to speak to an American.  But training an American means that 100% of the language burden is on me... eek.  But I've been really impressed, this past week I can honestly say we have had absolutely no problems with the language.  I was called by the Lord and he has qualified me for the task, but it's not just little things here and there, it's obvious.  I almost feel like I shouldn't be able to have this much understanding this early, but I do and I am extremely grateful to the Lord for this blessing.  

Elder Lincoln is fantastic!  He came here really ready to work and is especially excited to just talk to anyone and everyone we see, which I am grateful for because I think I had grown a little lax in that.  His understanding of the language is very impressive for being fresh out of the MTC.  We try to do a lot of language study and we set a goal that we would read the whole Book of Mormon in Portuguese together in the 12 weeks of his training.

So while my new companion and Portuguese is great we had some problems crop up this week.  We have always had big hills to climb with our investigators but we had never had to worry much about our members and recent converts. Being a missionary can be extremely happy, but I realize now it can also be pretty sad sometimes.

I told you my watch broke right?  The straps fell off, but I bought a new g-shock watch this week from a guy on the street with a little stand.  Its a really nice watch and was unbelievably cheap, 40 reais, which is like $20!

Elder Brinton did arrive this past transfer, I got to spend some time catching up with him. and guess who his trainer is here? Elder Paiva!  He's being trained by my trainer! haha!

I also attached a picture of all the new missionaries and their trainers.

I have been really interested in middle eastern countries since getting on my mission.  When I get back I really want to learn Arabic and Armenian or Turkish.  The Bible and Bible dictionary are incredibly educational when read to understand both spiritual things and historical things and I'm really enjoying learning so much from them!

Love you all!
Até mais!
Tchau!

Elder Johnson

 His new companion:
 Elder Brinton: (His companion in the MTC)


No comments:

Post a Comment